Is it too soon to start talking about The Oscars and fall’s movies? Nooo!
Here’s my month-by-month list of fall, Oscar-contending movies whose cast, director or trailer have left me excited and wanting more:
• Prisoners: strong cast, including: Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaul, Terrence Howard and Viola Davis. Will anyone take home an Oscar? In theaters September 20.
• Don Jon: stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt in his feature debut as both writer and director. He’s just so cool. In theaters September 27.
• Gravity: I was totally holding my breath at the end of the theatrical trailer. Stars the very funny Sandra Bullock in a more serious role. Will her performance be Oscar worthy? In theaters October 4.
• Captain Phillips: again, the trailer got me as I watched from the edge of my seat. Tom Hanks, one of my favorites, may get his first Oscar nomination since 2001. But will he win? In theaters October 11.
• The Wolf of Wall Street: stars Leonardo DiCaprio as a very rich guy. Again. Sound familiar? In theaters November 15.
• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: I loved the books. I loved the first movie. And I love Jennifer Lawrence. Probably not an Oscar contender, but definitely one I’m excited to see. In theaters November 22.
• American Hustle: stars Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. Directed by David O. Russel from Silver Linings Playbook. Enough said. Will Jennifer, Bradley and David prove to be an Oscar-winning trio? In theaters December 13.
• August: Osage County: stars two of my ultimate favorites: Julia Roberts, who is perfect, Meryl Streep, who is also perfect. The play has already won the Tony and Pulitzer. Will the movie win an Oscar? In theaters December 25.
Ellen DeGeneres is set to host the 85th annual Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2.
Which fall movie are you most excited to see?